I'm very interested how apps get involved so deeply in the life of the people that use the, specially the so called social media networks.
My curiosity about how this topic affects the world started when I saw the effect that it was having in my life and in the people around me.
Facebook, for example, is the most world wide known and used social network. A true success story! You can find all family generations using it.
some people use it with the knowledge they are using it and others have just their rights ignored and have their faces exposed online.
I just wonder how, in the years to come, the teenagers are going to react when they see all their childhood photos online... Because all of us love our childhood photos...
In my case, I notice that Facebook wasn't having the right effect on me when, some weeks ago, I was seeing some friends vacation photos on Facebook and I got the feeling I was never travelling or doing anything cool at all.
In reality, that wasn't true! I'm actually really active and in my free time during the week I think I'm doing cool stuff and travelling and hiking during the weekends.
When I started feeling this emptiness inside, this "lack of accomplishment", I just came back from a trip to Holland, where I visited my best friend and his boyfriend and it was AMAZING.
I did everything that I love the most! I was with the people that I love, I was riding the bicycle all over town and eating amazing food!
I think Facebook can be a time wasting app but can be very usefull too. I'm always planning events with friends, going to all the kinds of events that are shared with me and I use Facebook groups to find people that like the same things as me! To be honest, my all social life, from social dinners to hiking in the Alps are being organised like this.
These are all great reasons to keep on using it but...
If you have 100 friends there is a big chance that in all 52 weeks some of them goes in a dream vacation, has an amazing dinner, is in love or had the time of their life. It doesn't mean that others are having the life and you don't it only means that is how this app works. Social media is all about being insecure.
And it works because people feel the need to show other people their lifes and we just see it and we compare and feel less than we really are.
You can say that you look to the social media apps to get inspiration and so on but now "inspiration" is a better word for "jealousy". We just need to become more carefull.
I'm definitely working on that and I hope people also start doing the same.

No comments:
Post a Comment