Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Life starts early in the morning – The life quest to become a morning person

Did you ever heard about the “5am Club”?

I have always been a fan of waking up early in the morning. Even at the weekends my time to get up is at 9 am. I also tend to have very active weekends that need me to get up early.

It's a very easy concept that is kind of hard to achieve. Basically you wake up every day at 5 am and dedicate 1 hour of your day exclusively to yourself.
It means that you should start your day taking care of yourself first. Apparently, very creative and highly achieving people are being part and joining this club.



In this Club you can’t do whatever you want. You have to follow certain steps and divide your time in the most effective way possible.

1st hour of the day in a life of a "5am Club" member


          20’ Exercise

Out of bed right in the moment you listen to the alarm clock and start your day with a 20 minutes exercise routine!

Why this and not a bubble bath?

It's the dopamine fault! When you exercise, you release dopamine’s that makes you feel more confidante and happy. It's going to accelerate your metabolism and after some time you going to start to feel some body changes and get better and better in sport and that is a incredible confidence boost.

          20’ to think and rethink what you going to do during your day.

Planning your day ahead and the tasks you need to perform can be a big advantage. You can focus in specific day goals and define their importance.

Although I think 20 minutes are a bit too much for this and I prefer to do it in the subway, I believe this is a great step for an organized and relaxed life.

Writing steps and goals in a paper just makes it easier than to reminde everything by yourself and you should feel an instantaneous stress release.

          20' Read books, Listen to podcasts, Meditate

In this step you will dedicate 20 minutes to study a topic of your interest, to increase your knowledge and get inspired to face the world with more confidence than never.

One of the difficulties of people that really want to enter this “5am Club” is to manage to get out of the bed early and to create that habit. Robin Sharma, the writer of the book the “Leader that had no title” talks a lot about this concept in his talks. You can check some of his videos online. But is all about achieving more, more and more! To become the extreme achiever!



So why at 5 am??

The all point of waking up so early is that when you are already working the others are sleeping, so you are a step ahead of everyone else… Is not really about you, it’s all truly about how you can outrun the others. Has for sure a good American touch!

What we can do is steal the concept and adapt it to more pacific and not so "achieving" life style (or other kinds of "achieving" life styles). 
The goal is to embrace the day before you get ready to work. The goal is that the first thing you do in your day is not going to work but to do something for yourself that will make your life happier and easier.

So even if you do night shift at 8 pm you may start preparing yourself one hour earlier than normal and spend it doing something that you love! Even if that is spending a hour with your dog in the woods, this is what you need to do!

The truth is that after work more than often we have our spirits completely destroied. No energy, no willpower! With this "5 am Club" concept by the time you finished work you had already doen something great for yourself and for your life.


I know I can’t get to the so exclusively “5am Club”. Just because I have to sleep between 7 to 8 hours to live a healthy life. So, if I wake up at 5 am I would have to go to bed at 21h00 and that doesn’t work that well for me. In the end I would spend all the time with me and at work and not with the rest of the world.

So my idea is to create a brand new “6 am Club”!

A hour more of sleep comparing with the original club gives me more room to continue my social activities and create a healthy balance between me and the world.

Like this I would manage to do something I like in the morning and get to work earlier.

So the first hour in my "6 am Club" has...


        30 minutes exercise

I’m going to alternate by days this first part of the plan.

I’m going to do some jogging or cleaning and organize the house, laundry or gardening. I think like this is healthier than do sports every single day and a clean house is a clean soul. If I do house work in the morning I’m not thinking about it all day at work and I’m released of that responsibility in the evening. In this time, I can prepare the meals of the day and finish tasks that are waiting to be done in a long time.

When I’m running, I’m taking on my mp3 player audio books and podcasts or my favorite music and let my imagination fly.

          30 minutes on a tasks that I like

Study German language, work on a post, knit,  write a bit of my book or do whatever I want to do. These are my 30 minutes and although it is such a short period of time, step-by-step we can create good things.


When I’m finish I still will have 25 minutes to get dressed and ready for work!


I took out the middle step of the  “5 am Club”-  20 minutes to think and rethink what you going to do during your day – from my routine. Because, like I explained before I think is too much time to spend in the morning for planning and the last thing I want to do is to get overwhelmed in the morning listing all the tasks I have to perform.
normaly do this step during the time I spend in the subway between home and work.

Another technic I want to implement is the task jar! - I will cut some pieces of paper or use old business cards and write on each of them tasks that need to be performed around the house. So when I don't know what to do I just pick a task from the list! 


I will let you know if I manage it or not!





No comments:

Post a Comment